The Food Rainbow!
Wanted to take some time to talk about something important: getting all the COLORS in your diet! It is the most basic and easy was to get proper nutrition form food. Remember, colors blend into one anther (red- red orange- orange- orange yellow- yellow- cont.), shade does make a difference (usually darker is better, it means it is in its prime, but it depends on the product), and think of it as a circle (purple at the end of this list leads into red at the top, it loops) ! I think this picture should be the new food guide, instead of that warped pyramid currently encouraged. At least 50% of your diet should be greens, and the rest a variety of colors!
This is the variety I generally keep in my fridge/pantry:
RED: apples, tomatoes, strawberries, cranberries
ORANGE: oranges, butternut squash, sweet potato, mango
YELLOW: bananas, lemons
GREEN: pears, baby spinach, romaine, celery, artichokes, brussels sprouts, kiwis, grapes, cucumbers, avocado, kale (try kale chips if you don’t like raw or cooked kale, recipe below), a variety of frozen mixed greens (try a kale, spinach, and collard greens mix!)
BLUE/PURPLE (& dark/blood red): cherries, blue berries, raspberries (I usually buy a frozen fixed- opt for organic and non-blanched (boiled) before freezing, to make sure they were raw before frozen), purple onion
BROWN/BLACK: nuts (I love raw almonds and sunflower seeds), black beans (easy to soak and sprout), LARA BARS (sent from the gods, LOVE those, esp the peanut butter and jelly flavor!), flax seed, chia seed, lentils, legumes, sprouts, nutritional yeast (great for getting vitamin B!), Sun Warrior protein powder.
SPLURGES: we all have them, and my main ones are: dried mango, a spoon dipped in peanut butter, and Kettle Chips (I only eat the organic, reduced fat salt and vinegar flavor). I could probably use a little more yellow in my diet, any suggestions?
I can post recipes to help you incorporate “the rainbow” into your diet, what would YOU like to see??
What is your favorite color to eat? Any suggestions?
- gwenlightened likes this
- liveamour likes this
- thismakesmedurable reblogged this from get-healthy-feel-awesome
- hi-itsmadeline reblogged this from get-healthy-feel-awesome
- hi-itsmadeline likes this
- get-healthy-feel-awesome reblogged this from earth-fairy68
- nomore-nonsense reblogged this from earth-fairy68
- ferventforaesthetics likes this
- fitnessplusfeminism likes this
- thingsofthespirit likes this
- buypositively likes this
- f-forfight reblogged this from phitness
- fit-thin-beautiful reblogged this from phitness
- stupendo likes this
- phitness reblogged this from earth-fairy68
- earth-fairy68 likes this
- earth-fairy68 reblogged this from vegan-veins
- theclassyvegan answered: Yellow Bananas
- vegan-veins reblogged this from sailorvegan
- vegantherapy reblogged this from sailorvegan
- sailorvegan reblogged this from rawkourt
- witchyknitter answered: Right now, I am on a severe orange kick. Clemintines and oranges, yummy!
- seventy-times--seven likes this
- terryberrycherrypop likes this
- rawkourt posted this